Monday, August 25, 2008

Bedtime Routine

Our bedtime routine is pretty simple around here. Bath and bed. While Jeremiah is putting Jacob down for the night, I get to do something that I don't normally get to do and wish I could do more often. I get to read the girls their story. They take turns picking out the book and we crawl into my bed and snuggle up together to read. It's one of those things, that as a mother, I just wish could last a little bit longer each night.

Things started changing a bit around here the last week or two. Mazie has taken over the reading part. She reads while Jamie and I snuggle up to her and hang on her every word...

She has been reading for almost two years and just loves everything she reads. It makes my heart swell that Mazie asked to read one night and then every night ever since. It also makes me a little sad that she doesn't need (or want) me to anymore. But once in a while you get to take a step back and realize that you are doing a pretty good job with your children when they do things like this for themselves. That's what it's about, right?

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Before you know it, Jamie will be begging to read too!

Sweet photo!

Anonymous said...

That indeed is what it is all about! I am so pleased that Mazie loves to read the way that she does and that she also is such an excellent reader. And just on Sunday Jamie told me she was going to read her alphabet book - won't be long before Jamie is doing the same thing! Lets just be glad that the girls love books!

Amy said...

I love that she does the reading! Send her up our way and she can read Hayden his bedtime stories :-)

Samantha said...

What a precious, precious picture I know you'll treasure forever. You've got some pretty sweet girls.

J.J. said...

that's just amazing.

Susie said...

What a big girl M is! I think I'm going to be bummed out when the days I get to read are gone, too. It's so precious that time, isn't it?