Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Masters Challenge

The Masters Challenge on Saturday was just amazing. All three of the US Taekwondo Centers get together and compete in various events, such a board breaking, poomse, sparring (just to name a few). It is an all day event and is really something to see.

The demo teams were fascinating. I have to say that the North team (my school) was the best. Really they were all together compared to the other teams. They were just in sync with each other and they rocked. This is Mr. Josh who works our office. He was breaking through 5 cement bricks with the palm of his hand... I told you...fascinating!

The Masters of our school sparred with bo staffs...(you can also see my banner in the top right of the photo!)
There was an event for high kick. This isn't a great picture but I think you can see that Instructor Bird (one of our instructors) was jumping pretty high to break this board. He ended up kicking a board that was measured to be 8 feet 6 inches high! That is impressive.
And we can't forget about our biggest supporters. The boys of our family were there cheering us on during our creative breaking event...
Jamie ended up going first. She was in a group of four girls. She lined up her board holders and presented herself to the judges.
Then she went into action. She used a front snap kick, roundhouse kick, and jumping side kick for her breaking techniques. Jamie broke all three of her boards!
She won the gold medal in her division! She was so excited.
Then it was Mazie's turn. She set up the board holder but they didn't stay where she told them to be. So her breaks didn't go quite as planned. She used a front snap kick, jumping front snap kick, and running jumping front snap kick for her techniques. She broke all three of her boards but was a little disappointed with how it went. How she practiced and planned to do her breaking was a pretty spectacular site but since the holders didn't do what they were asked, it didn't go as planned. She ended up getting bronze which is pretty great (in my opinion). Mazie wasn't pleased as you can see...
But was happy to receive a medal anyway.
Then it was my turn. I used roundhouse kick, jumping front snap kick, and jumping side kick for my techniques. I broke all of my boards and was pleased with that.
My holders decided to move a little too and they weren't quite where I needed them to be. So my breaks weren't as great as they had been during my practicing but I was still happy to have a bronze medal. I was competing against some pretty great ladies who did some pretty awesome board breaking as well!
The Masters Challenges really make the students practice just a little bit harder. It is really an exciting event. It is held twice a year so maybe next November you can join us to cheer us on!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Way to go, ladies! You all rock!

Cathy Bolander said...

You guys are AWESOME! I wish I was doing something like this.

Megan's Mom said...

AWESOME STAHR LADIES....looks like you had a great time....I saw your banner on the wall...nice!

PopPop said...

Well done - so proud of all of you!