Wednesday, March 03, 2010

The Test

Last night was test night. Mazie and I took the makeup test for taekwondo since we could not make it on Saturday for the normally scheduled test. So Jamie, Jacob, and Dad all came to support the two of us. This was what they did while we waiting for the test to start...
Of the two of us, my group was up first. I did my poomse...
I also did sparring, kyroogi formulas, and some steps but I won't bore you with all the details. According to my "report card", I got all As and A-s. I was pleased with that. But really you can here to see the board breaks, right? Here I am doing the Ax kick. I set up the board to where I wanted it to be...
Jeremiah saw where I positioned the board and thought that it was way too high for me to lift my leg and break it on the way down. But I proved him wrong! I broke it on the first try with lots of power...
You know, I really do not envy the board holders. My board sprayed lots of little shreds of wood all over the holder. I'm glad he had his eyes closed and his face turned away!
This is what the littlest Stahr was doing during the test. Since Dad was taking all the photos (thanks, Jeremiah!) he and Jamie stayed in the back of the room. While they were mostly quiet, they weren't exactly interested in most of the test. At least they had stuff to do, right?
Then it was on to Mazie. She was the only Red Senior 2 belt at the test. So she did her things while the Black Belt High class did their things. She is doing her poomse here while the other class is doing their poomse. While she hesitated at some parts, I was in awe of how well she did focusing on her form while the other people were doing something completely different. It didn't seem to distract her too much!
She also did her self defense, kyroogi formulas, and steps but we will just move right along to her board breaks. She had to do a combination break. The first break was a knife hand and then she had to move right into a jumping side kick.
She broke both boards and was pretty happy with herself. I spoke to one of the instructor tonight at my class and he said Mazie inspired people last night. Even though she was nervous, she did a fantastic job and didn't let that get in the way of getting her Bo Dan belt.

So now I have a blue belt and am half way to getting my black belt. Mazie has her Bo Dan which is a deputy black belt. She has two more belts before receiving her black belt. We are so proud of her!
*You can check out the rest of the pictures that Jeremiah took in the slideshow on the sidebar.*

10 comments:

Mary said...

Awesome!! Way to go!

Susie said...

This must be so fun! I don't know about board breaking, though- what about splinters? I'm a little curious about self-defense classes now after the recent Poway tragedy. Maybe after the move...

Megan said...

Susie, if you hit the board with enough force your hand or foot will go straight through. You only get splinters if you turn or twist. With the practice and instruction we get, the instructors and our Master make sure we are doing it correctly to not get injured. We do have fun. Lots of fun! Thanks for commenting.

Unknown said...

great job stahr women!!! just wondering how mazie did on her school test (math) that she took a week back or so.

Megan's Mom said...

GREAT JOB!!!! SO PROUD OF BOTH OF YOU!!!I knew you could do it!:-)

How is the testing going for Mazie?
Love how Jamie and Jacob occupy their "waitng" time!

So what is KYROOGI? (Mazie?)

Megan said...

Kyroogi means freestyle. They are sparring techniques we learn to attach and counter-attack an opponent. More on Mazie's csaps in another post.

Cathy Bolander said...

Awesome! You both look great!

J.J. Killins said...

you are some rockin stahrs:)

Sara said...

you guys are just so amazing.

Katie said...

Congratulations ladies! The Laughreys are proud of you two!