Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Trip

So by now if you read this blog, you know where I was last weekend. I went to California for some sun and good friends and surprising Katie at her baby shower. It all started a little more than a month ago, when Kristina had visited us while on tdy from California. She asked if I would help plan the party and maybe even come to the party. I laughed and said that I would do what I could to help out. Really, me leave my kids and husband for a few days while I get to have fun all by myself? What was she thinking? Kristina kept pushing in her nice southern way and I got it in my head that I really wanted to go. I should clarify that I really wanted to go from the beginning but just figured it would never work. So after actually purchasing the tickets to fly to California, it was set. I was going on my first solo trip in more than 7 years.

I will tell you it was wonderful. Saturday I arrived in California and it was sunny and warm and Cory and I started with our errands. After running everywhere (we were definitely on a mission) we finally got home where Kristina and I caught up while I made the cake. Sunday was the day of the party. We arrived at Alissa's house (which is amazing, by the way) and helped set up. Then when the scouts (Alissa's mom and husband) spotted Katie, I hid in the bathroom. Kristina and Alissa said they had a surprise that they wanted to give her right away but she had to sit down. I could hear in her voice that she was getting worried. So I came out and she looked at me and continued to talk. Then she looked at me again and realized that I wasn't supposed to be there. This picture is out of focus but you get her first reaction anyway...
I think she was telling me she was thinking the surprise was a dog in this picture. I'm thankful that I wasn't a dog...
Thanks, Sara, for taking these pictures for me. I appreciate it. Speaking of Sara, she decided to take her family to Hawaii when we visited California in October. I know, what was she thinking. She was there doing her best to be, well, Sara. She was part of our entertainment...
Sara was dancing a routine to Ice, Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice. It really was funny to see.
So Sara hasn't seen me since I've moved from California. Well, she checks the blog but it isn't the same. Anyway, she has been a big support and I was so, so happy to see her again. I'm glad you decided to come even though you weren't feeling well.
So the grandmas (Alissa's mom and Katie's mom) were so cool. They kicked butt when it came to the word game and shared their birthing stories and advise.
And this picture makes me laugh. I think Alissa's mom just took the pink ribbon from Katie's mom because she said "baby". Anyway, the picture makes me laugh because as I was snapping it, Katie's belly decided to jump into the frame. I don't even think Katie was trying it but it was funny anyway... Alissa made this awesome diaper cake. I love that there are pink clips and sunglasses to add to the diapers.
Then it was time for gifts. Is it me or is Katie absolutely glowing?
So everyone had a lovely time at the party. Kristina and Alissa, you really did a great job.
I am so glad that Katie agreed to have the baby shower. Every baby is a gift and each baby should be celebrated. Plus I wouldn't have had an excuse to have a little vacation to myself!I was impressed with Jeremiah. I knew he could take care of our children. I had no doubts about that. I was just a little worried about his well being since he typically doesn't handle the day-to-day of the kids on a routine basis. The kids were fine (read: no bruises or sicknesses) and he was fine (read: not completely exhausted). The kids were actually really great for their dad and I am proud of them (and him).
Thanks CoryandKristina for letting me "hide out" at your place and teaching me to use chop sticks!

8 comments:

J.J. said...

how fun!!! i'm so glad that you got to do such a great surprise for her!

Sara said...

Sorry that the pic was blurry. Her reaction was so great. It was so fantastic to see you, and glad I could entertain. I am so glad you made it home safely.

Cathy Bolander said...

Megan it was so nice to see you again. You look amazing & were as fun as ever. And I LOVED your cake.

Amy said...

What an awesome surprise and a great get-away for you! So Fun!

Susie said...

Good times, good friends! What a blessing on all ends, Megan- and that diaper cake is simple eye candy- beautiful!

Megan's Mom said...

Glad all your plans came together as they did....what an awesome suprise for Katie!

Great posting!

Katie said...

Yea! I'm so glad you decided to come! You really do look amazing. Even better in "real life" :-)

Thanks again for making it such a special event! Can't wait for you to meet Lorelei!

erin said...

Three things:

1) you look awesome!

2) Katie looks awesome!

3) Your HAIR looks awesome...LOVE IT!