Monday, December 15, 2008

Odds and Ends

1. Today the temperature got up to 16 degrees. That was after it only got up to 8 yesterday. Let me tell you, I was ready to break out the summer wear!

2. It was so cold last night that we had frost on the inside of our bedroom window. Yes, I said inside!

3. I made Mazie's Sweden project, the Pepperkaker. I was told when Mazie and Jeremiah sampled them after supper tonight that they taste like ginger snaps. So there you go-something you may not have known today-Swedish gingerbread cookies taste like ginger snaps.

4. There are only 10 days until Christmas. How did that happen? Jeremiah is mailing out all the packages that need to be mailed tomorrow. I don't know how I was able to get all of my shopping completed before Thanksgiving and not able to get the stuff into the mail until tomorrow.

5. So what do you think of all the goodies on the sidebar? The duplicates are because they are either easy or gifts. We give fudge to the neighbors and Jeremiah takes a lot to work. The maple candy was interesting. I have never made candy before and it was easier than I was expecting. The kids liked it too. It tasted like pancake syrup!

6. Jamie needs sugar cookies for her party at school on Thursday. So there is another duplicate. She told me to make them in to stars only though. I am not going to decorate them either. They are doing that during the party.

7. Jacob now says, "Hi Honey" because of a playdate we had last week where Wilson said, "Move Honey". Apparently it was something the cool kids say and Jacob wanted in on it. So he flashes his big smile and bats his baby blues and says it, then laughs because he knows he's being funny.

8. Speaking of that playdate, we had 8 kids and 4 moms. And the biggest shock was that the kids were even. 4 boys and 4 girls. It was great. The kids had fun together.

9. Jamie and Mazie are going to test for their next taekwondo belts on Saturday. I think Jamie will be invited into the black belt club as well. We had a meeting with their master last week and he mentioned that it would happen soon.

10. Jamie was invited to a sleepover birthday party on Thursday. It will be her first time sleeping over at a friend's house. Mazie hasn't even done that yet. If Jamie ends up staying over night, she will be doing it to beat Mazie at it. We've been doing that sort of thing around here lately. Jamie shows Mazie up on something. Drives Mazie nuts! Did I mention that taekwondo has brought Jamie out of her shell?

Ok, that it's for today. I'll get the camera dusted off and get some pictures on here soon. Happy Monday!

7 comments:

rachel said...

Good Luck on your test girls!!

Shelley said...

I'm starting to wonder if you ever sit down! You are so busy!

The recipes all look great! I have only managed to make and decorate sugar cookies so far. Maybe next week, my Mom and I will do some candy making.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Megan's Mom said...

Good luck to the girls on their tests!
Megan, maybe you need to open a bakery at Christmas time!
You make me miss all the baking I used to do!:-)
You can send some east if you have too many!:-)Pepperkaker cookies sound DELISH!

J.J. said...

cookies? cookies? none here. we did make 2 loaves of banana bread and some shortbread tonight. not exactly christmas related. yay for their belt tests! i cannot belive jamie is doing a sleepover! wow!!

Amy said...

Wow! Lots going on! I felt like we had a heat wave today when it was -7 as opposed to the -14 we had yesterday. And I said almost giddily to Rich (when I just checked weather.com) that "ooooo, tomorrow is going to be 11!!!" And I truly was excited about it! :-)

Cathy Bolander said...

Frost inside. Crazy! Congrats on the belt tests. And man what I wouldn't give to live next door to you to get in on those treats.

Anonymous said...

Jamie- have fun at your sleepover! Good luck to both girls on your testing-I know you both will do well. Sounds like you have your own holiday village in your house! Enjoy!