Saturday, July 12, 2008

Mount Rushmore

We went to Mount Rushmore for a few days. It was just beautiful. We all packed into the civic (for the fuel efficiency) and drove the 7 1/2 hours to South Dakota on Wednesday. Thursday we got ready and went to the Mount Rushmore cave. The girls thought this was pretty cool. I had a refresher course in telling the stalagmites from the stalatites. Just in case you were curious, stalagtites are from the top, the stalagmites are from the bottom, and when they meet in the middle they form colums.

After lunch and naps, we drove to the monument. It was simply amazing. A nice man took a picture of all of us (but don't enlarge it we are all blurry since he focused on the monument).

We were there for a couple of reasons. 1) It was within driving distance and we definitely had it on our Colorado To Do List and 2) Jeremiah and I decided to do something fun for our anniversary. We celebrated 9 years of marriage on the 10th. I love you, always, sweetheart. (We share this date with the Laughreys-check out what they did for their special day.)

On the way out of Keystone, we saw a mountain goat looking for some food. There was a mama and a baby too but I didn't get out to of the car to get their picture. I was too afraid of the papa!

The kids did awesome in the car. All the way there and all the way home until we got to Monument (20 minutes away from home) when we all were a little cranky and tired. I have to say that isn't too bad since they were in the car for a total of about 16 hours over three days.

5 comments:

Susie said...

Happy Anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Stahr! I am curious to go to Mt. RUshmore someday... maybe if we EVER get stationed in CO!

Megan, if I haven't told you lately, you are looking SO good- I bet you're feeling great, too, yes?

J.J. said...

that's AWESOME! looks like you guys had a great time! and i didn't think it was such a bad idea for the pic - it was kinda cool to have the monument in focus!

Kathy said...

I have lots of relatives out there - many memories!!! Very cool. I'd love to take my kids there someday too. Happy Anniversary.

A.K. said...

great pictures! Happy Anniversary!

Katie said...

Happy Anniversary! Looks like you guys had a great time. Such travelers you guys are--and with three kids. I'm very impressed!