Since Mazie was about 4 years old, she wanted to get her ears pierced "like Mommy". We agreed that she had to wait until she was 6 to do it so she could learn to take care of them herself. I was 6 when I had my first set done and I took care of them. I figured she would be able to do the same.
January came and Mazie turned 6. I offered that I would take her to get her ears pierced. She declined saying she wasn't ready. No problem because I wasn't really ready either. She wanted to know all the specifics, how it felt, what was it like, etc. So when we were in Pennsylvania we went to the mall and asked the lady to show Mazie what the gun looked like. She even held the gun for a minute and decided that it was just not the right time. Again, no problem.
Yesterday, however, was a day of change. She decided that she wanted her ears pierced and she wanted to do it today. She somehow flipped her switch from being completely terrified of the process to wanting to do it now. I have no idea where she gets that kind of thinking!
So after we were all finished with breakfast and were all dressed and ready to go, we got into the car and drove to the mall. The Piercing Pagoda had just opened and we were chosing the right studs to put into two pretty little ears. She also wanted to pick out her first pair of regular earrings (which she paid for with her very own money).
The studs are pink balls, of course, and the regular earrings are gold Cinderella heads, of course. Jeremiah and I said to each other that we fully expected to come home with only one earring. We are so proud of her. She is very proud of herself. She got a little goodie bag with some lollipops, a sticker, and her cleaning solution. She actually walked out of the mall with her hair behind her ears. It made me see how big she really is and that she is going to get bigger and older and more mature and this is the first big girlie thing of all the girlie things that are to come. *SIGH*



12 comments:
Wow Mazie you look so grown up! I had to wait until I was 13 to get my ears pierced
I AM SOOOO PROUD OF YOU!Congratulations,Mazie!....You look great with your earrings!I love you much!
YEAH MAZIE!!!!
Way to go, BIG GIRL! You have every reason to be proud! It is so hard to believe this once little girl is growing up SO fast!
Love you lots!
Congrats! i had to wait until I was in 5th grade I think- and it hurt! i won't even get a second hole in either ear because of it!
Oh, WOW! I wasn't expecting to see this when I popped on in to your blog today. She is getting SO big. And they look great, Mazie!
Awww, she looks so proud. It made me think of all the girlie things I get to do with my girls too.
oh wow. i am so excited about your beautiful ears, maz.
You chose beautiful earrings Mazie & you were so brave.
I got my ears pierced when I was 7 Megan and swear that Sarah will be ready only then- seems like we're not too far on this rite of passage either- ack!
Mazie- they look amazing- take care of them, girlie ;)
Oh, wow is it that time already? I guess I was 8 when I got mine pierced. Crazy how quickly they grow up!
I love the pink earrings you picked out Mazie. They look beautiful!
Wow!!! All of those little things make them seem so grown up... bitter-sweet mommy moments! I like the choice of earrings too. So cute. The Cinderella ones sound like fun!
Post a Comment